You Have All The Time In the World

Have you ever heard of the bucket list? Do you have one, and are you working on it? Hey, the end of the world is coming. You just never know. But some people have other opinions on the matter. Sandra has some opinions on what you should with your life. This is what she’d like to tell you. Sandra, it’s all yours now.

Oh, thank you. I really have been sitting on the edge of my seat on this one. For heaven’s sake, I am just so tired of hearing about this bucket list thing. It’s all I hear people talking about when someone dies or gets sick. You never know how much time you have, do what you can today and not put it off to tomorrow, goodness, it just gets so silly and ridiculous.

Why? Why do I think it is ridiculous? Oh please, do I have to explain the obvious? For one thing, it seems people only come up with this nonsense when it’s right in front of them. Someone dies, and all of a sudden life means something. What is that supposed to mean? It meant nothing to you just five minutes earlier?

Then people will start saying things like, you need to live your life as though it’s your last day. I grew up in the sixties. So you can imagine what I’ve heard people say what they’d do if they only had a day to live. They’d get smashed up on the best dope that they could find and have sex with the person they were too shy to say hello to, even if they’re married to your boss. Oh please, if it were really the last day of your life, would you sit around and file your taxes? Or stand in line at a drug store? So it’s just a silly statement. It’s called let’s sit around and pretend we think we’re wise when in reality we’re just a bunch of fools. Let’s put it this way, if you could really know it was the last day of your life, I don’t think you’d be wasting it asking, ‘what should I do with the last day of my life’. There wouldn’t be time enough to do so. That’s why the whole statement is just silly.

And that bucket list thing. My goodness, you’ve got me started so now I’m on a roll. It always seems to have to be some insane thing that you never really wanted to do, but it’s on that list so you look hip and daring. Why is it that this bucket list thing has to entail jumping out of airplanes and going to some ridiculous place in the world that you know is past your budget? It’s almost an excuse to show you are pathetic in the real world. And all this pressure, you have to get it done before you die, well, I can’t understand why people can’t see the obvious downside on that one. One day I’ll do this, one day I’ll do that, I can’t say I lived until this happens, my, how we like to paint ourselves as pathetic slobs and dress it up as ambition. It is such a foolish waste of time. Now, isn’t that ironic? Some tool that is supposed to create a great life for you in the long run wastes all your time and energy in the here and now. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me and I’m too behind the times, but isn’t here and now about the only thing you really know you have?

Do you understand what the real problem is here? That people are afraid of living an unlived life. That they will get to the end of their days, and realize that they never lived out their dreams. That once they realize that their time here is ending, only then what seems important will be clear to them. And of course, they fear that whatever the clarity of death brings will show that they missed their chance completely. So that is what all this bucket list nonsense is all about!

Yes, dear, I have seen the movie. I know how it shows how you need to live life with zest, and that lost dreams are a heartbreak. I so understand that completely. But you see, here’s the thing of it. If you really live life to the fullest, I mean the absolute utmost to the fullest, this is what is guaranteed will happen. You will miss out on some of your greatest dreams. Shocking, is it not? No matter how many bucket lists you fill out, if you truly live your life, there will be trips not taken, people not met, and other avenues never taken.

Here’s two simple reasons why. For heaven’s sake, here is the most obvious, that being, you really are only one person and there is only so much, even the busiest of us, can do at any time. Any time I choose one thing, I reject another. So no matter how much you chase the butterfly, there is always some dragonfly you will never see. No one can do everything other than dream that they can.

The other one is this. If you really live a life full of dreams, always living well, no matter the age, there will come a day you will die in the midst of it all. If you live life to the fullest, you should never complete it all. A full life means a list with things not crossed out, complete with things left undone or not even begun. Do you really want to get to forty, and say you’ve been there, done everything, nothing left to do but watch the wrinkles creep up and suck you six feet under in a slow spiritual suicide over the course of up to five decades? Really, please.

It is so much more relaxing and logical to realize how special it is just to be on a journey, no matter where in life it is that you happen to be. You’re cleaning the house? Enjoy the fact that you have a home, and you have the capability to take care of it. You’re stuck in traffic? Look at all the people around you and say hello to them in your mind. They’re your brothers and sisters, and you’ll miss out on them if you just stew about things you don’t control. If you start a project, be glad you have the dreams. Don’t feel that you have to get it done yesterday to get to the next project. You have all the time in the world, and knowing that, you can enjoy the dream at hand without worrying about the next thing that may never come to you.

So please, throw out the bucket list. Make a plan, but savor the moment. Living well today means life is a treasure even in the most ordinary of circumstances. Time is the only treasure you have, so don’t waste it on fretting, Relax, you have all the time in the world, because you always have now. And you always will.

Well, my dear, it seems I’ve gone on quite a bit. So sorry for the babble, but there are just some things that get me going, as you can see. I hope you spread the word to enjoy your life now, bringing joy to yourself and others! And have a nice day.

2 Responses to “You Have All The Time In the World”

  1. Miriam Hall says:

    Amazing essay. And you posted it on my birthday! 🙂